|Game||Super Smash Bros. Melee|
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. (Wii U and 3DS)
Togepi (Japanese: トゲピー, Togepī, Togepy) is a fictional creature in the Pokémon media franchise. Togepi is a tiny egg-shaped creature covered in a half-hatched egg shell with red and blue patterns on it.
In Super Smash Bros. Melee
As a Poké Ball Pokémon
It uses Metronome as its attack. While Clefairy's Metronome attack deals out various damaging attacks, Togepi's Metronome deals out status effects to all characters within a certain radius. The summoner is not harmed by any of Togepi's Metronome attacks.
Togepi's Metronome is made up of five attacks that are chosen randomly. The attacks are:
- Leech Seed: This attack has the same effect as Lip's Stick. A flower is planted on the head of any players who are in Togepi's glowing attack radius.
- Powder Snow: A small blast of ice is shot out. Any character stuck in the blast radius will be frozen for a couple of seconds and take damage. Unlike Articuno's attack, there is relatively little knockback associated with Togepi's version, so it is unlikely one will be KO'd by it.
- Sleep Powder: Togepi releases some Sleep Powder which is similar to Bellossom's attack. A character will fall asleep momentarily if he/she is in the attacks radius.
- Earthquake: Togepi starts shaking the ground. Anyone near Togepi will become imbedded into the ground for a couple of seconds, like the effect from Donkey Kong's Headbutt attack. This attack looks similar to Venusaur's attack.
- Night Shade: Togepi releases a black magic aura, which completely blackens the screen for several full seconds, disorienting players, though computer-controlled characters are unaffected. Due to its undesirable nature, this attack is noticeably rarer than the other four.
As a trophy
Togepi features as a collectible trophy, unlocked as one of the 100+ trophies that can be collected randomly during normal play, such as in the Trophy Lottery and throughout the various Single-player regular matches. It reads as follows:
- These adorable Spike Ball Pokemon hatch from eggs given out by Professor Elm's assistant. It's impossible to predict which ability a Togepi will call upon when it uses its Metronome move, so you'd better be ready! (Pokemon Gold & Silver 10/00)
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Togepi returns to the series using the random effects it used in Melee. However, it no longer uses Night Shade, but Smokescreen. However, the effect of blackening the screen is the same.
- A Spike Ball Pokémon. It's said that its shell is filled with joy, and a proverb asserts that if you can get a sleeping Togepi to stand up, you will gain happiness. Togepi can lower its opponent's attack power using Charm. Once it has become friends with its Trainer, Togepi evolves into Togetic.
In Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS
NA: This Fairy-type Pokémon grows by feeding off the happiness, fun, and kindness of others. It's always filled with joy! In Smash Bros., Togepi uses the unpredictable Metronome move on foes. This move can cause drowsiness, damaging-flower growth, or stage darkness.
PAL: A Fairy-type Pokémon that's always sunny side up! It can siphon positive energy from people and spread it across the world. Its Metronome attack can have a wide variety of effects. Maybe it'll plunge the stage into darkness. Maybe it'll plant damage-dealing seeds on fighters' heads. Whatever it does, Togepi will leave fighters scrambling.