- For Peach's Standard Special Move in Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U see Toad (move)
Toad is a recurring character from the Mario series games, and serves as Peach's assistant. He plays a sidekick role for the Mario Bros. in the games; often assisting them in a variety of ways on their adventure. While he has yet to make a playable role in the Super Smash Bros. games (despite various rumours), Toad does make several cameo appearances throughout its installments.
In Super Smash Bros. Melee, Toad is used as Peach's Standard Special Move which can be used to counter an enemy's attack. Toad is also seen in the background of the first level of Adventure Mode, running behind the arena with the Yoshis, and again behind the finish line.
It was once rumored that Toad could be unlocked if a player was to hit all the credits after clearing Classic Mode, Adventure Mode, or All-Star Mode. This rumor was proven false but many fake screenshots were made to trick players into thinking that he was actually playable. The Toad used in the screenshot was the one running in the background of Mushroom Kingdom Adventure and in Peach's Standard Special Move. Also, it is very obvious that he is not a character in Melee because the player can get his trophy from the Lottery instead of obtaining it in Classic mode.
- Toad, Peach's longtime servant, first showed off his strength in Super Mario Bros. 2, then proved to be an agile driver in Super Mario Kart. There are many Toads in Peach's castle and across the Mushroom Kingdom, and although they look similar, they have varied natures. Not the best of guards, Toad must often be rescued.
- Super Mario Bros.
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Toad is once again Peach's Standard Special Move, and is still not a playable character. It was, once again, rumored that he was unlockable, but this rumor was also proven false.
- One of the servants at Peach's Castle in the Mushroom Kingdom. Toads give off a strong sense of peace. Most feature white heads with red polka dots, but there are other colors as well. Toad's incredible uprooting speed in Super Mario Bros. 2 is unrivaled, adding to the rumor of his superhuman strength... however out of place it might seem.
- Super Mario Bros. (1985)
- Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (2003)
Toad also has quite a few stickers (three in total) in the game which are mainly usable by the Mario characters.
A race of charming mushrooms that dwell in the Mushroom Kingdom, they prefer to be called Toads... Come to think of it, that's an odd name. It's not like they're very good jumpers. Captain Toad can't jump at all! What's that? ToadSTOOLS? ...That makes more sense.
- The Toad amiibo is created from the toad trophy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- According to the official Melee poll, Toad was the fourth most wanted character (with 27 votes) from the Mario series for Melee, right after Bowser (169 votes), Princess Peach (66 votes) and Wario (65 votes). Bowser and Princess Peach appeared in Melee and Brawl, the latter of which also starred Wario.
- Toad will be one of a series of Super Mario Amiibos produced to coincide with the release of Mario Party 10 in March 2015. He is the only amiibo aside from the Splatoon amiibo that is not compatible with Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U.