Super Mushroom's artwork from Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
|Appearance||Super Smash Bros. Melee|
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. (Wii U and 3DS)
The Super Mushroom (スーパーキノコ, sūpā kinoko) is a transformation item in Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. It allows the user to grow several times their size for a short amount of time.
Upon appearing, the Super Mushroom will slide to the right of the stage, making it possible for it to fall off the stage. To distinguish the Super Mushroom from the Poison Mushroom, the former is a brighter red and sports a neutral expression. A Super Mushroom can interrupt any attacks or combos if it touches a fighter.
If a fighter touches the Super Mushroom, they will grow several times their size, and strike a pose that relishes their increased size in Brawl and SSBWU/3DS. During this time, they will take less knockback from attacks, making them difficult to KO, and the range and damage of their attacks will increase, greatly increasing the chances for KOs. Their mobility is also improved due to a faster running speed, faster air speed, and higher jump. However, to compensate, their hurtbox increases significantly, making them a much larger target to hit. In addition, their falling speed and gravity is increased, which can be a risk for the fighter if offstage, and they suffer much more landing lag from aerial attacks.
While under the effects of a Super Mushroom, the user's voice and sound effects are much slower and lower, and any item that they have will be proportionate to their increased size. The transformation lasts ten seconds, though it can be cancelled if the fighter is KO'd or if they receive a Poison Mushroom.
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Mario Bros. veterans will recognize these power-ups, which hid inside brick blocks and helped Mario and Luigi withstand enemy attacks. In Super Smash Bros. Melee, they temporarily turn your character into a giant. Not only will your size and strength increase, but so will your mass, making it harder for foes to knock you off.
- Super Mario Bros. 10/85
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
A mushroom that makes you giant sized. When you're this big, your attack power increases and you're harder to launch. But you become an easy target and may come under serious fire. Unlike other items, it doesn't remain in one place but moves to the right once it appears. Why to the right? Well, because that's what it did in its original appearance in Super Mario Bros.
- Super Mario Bros. (1985)
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992)
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
This mysterious mushroom will cause you to grow several times your normal size. Once you've grown, the power of your attacks and your ability to launch your opponents will increase. However, being so large--and such an easy target--may not be so great in a fight with lots of enemies...
- NES - Super Mario Bros. (10/1985)
- DS - New Super Mario Bros. (05/2006)
- The Super Mushroom serves as the universe symbol of the Mario universe, with the symbol being updated in Brawl to reflect its appearance in recent Mario titles.
- In all games, giant battles can appear in Classic Mode, in which the opponent is under the permanent effect of the Super Mushroom until being defeated.
- Giant Battles are an option in Special Melee, Brawl, and Smash, where the fighters are put under the effect of a Super Mushroom for the duration of the match.
- In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, a Super Mushroom has no effect if the Mushroom hits a character that is grabbing on another character.