The Subspace Army is an evil force which is the main antagonist of the Subspace Emissary mode in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Headed by the Ancient Minister and under the guidance of Tabuu, its aim is to expand Subspace using Subspace Bombs and to pull areas of this world into it. Most of the enemies the player faces in the Subspace Emissary are members of the Subspace Army.
- Tabuu is the true leader of the Subspace Army. He uses Master Hand (bound by Chains of Light) as a puppet to give orders. Only the Ancient Minister knows about Tabuu.
- Galleom is a robot member with a built-in Subspace Bomb. He was seen flying across a desert but was confronted by Meta Knight, Ike, and Marth, and then later Lucas and Pokémon Trainer. He later exploded in the sky but was revived for the Great Maze.
- Duon is also a robot member of the army, made from the trophy of Mr. Game & Watch. He tried to take down Peach, Zelda, Fox, Falco, Snake, Lucario, and Meta Knight, but ultimately failed. He was revived along with the others for the Great Maze.
The following are comprised of boss characters recruited from other universes.
- Petey Piranha is a major member of the army. He was sent to aid Wario in capturing the princesses and defeating Mario and Kirby. Petey was revived by Tabuu to hinder the heroes in the Great Maze.
- Rayquaza wasn't originally a member. After being disrupted by Fox, he flew out of a lake and attacked Diddy Kong. The heroes defeat Rayquaza, but he is later revived for the Great Maze.
- Ridley was first seen in the laboratory. He attacked Samus by scraping her against a wall, but was defeated by Pikachu's Thunder. He was transformed into Meta Ridley afterward to chase them down. Both he and his robot form reappeared in the Great Maze as two different characters, oddly enough.
- Porky Minch is a boy genius. He was ordered to stop Lucas and Ness along with Wario. He used the Porky Statue to hunt them down, but was revealed when Ness used his PK Flash. He was also revived for the Great Maze.
The following are various Smashers that have joined or assisted the Subspace Army. They were recruited by Master Hand; therefore, do not know about Tabuu and his real plans.
- Ganondorf is the second-in-command of the army, having technology to override programming and holding dominance a majority of the forces. He sought to usurp Master Hand rule over the world, but ultimately failed upon Tabuu's revelation. After his defeat, he was attacked relentlessly by Bowser for betraying him, and then revived by his own two arch-foes, Link and Zelda.
- Bowser is the third-in-command, and only takes orders from Ganondorf and Master Hand himself. In contrast to Ganondorf's more administrative role, Bowser prefers catching Smashers, as well as using his personal minions to take on large assignments, such as stealing Donkey Kong's Banana Horde, and assaulting King Dedede's castle. He was later betrayed by Ganondorf and turned into a trophy, but was brought back by Dedede, who beat him and revived him again. He was the only Smasher to seemingly be truly loyal to Master Hand, expressing sadness to see him defeated.
- Wario is the bounty hunter of the army, who works independently from the rest of the army. He captures various Smashers for the fun of it. He does not care about the orders received from Master Hand, and prefers to go his own way.
- King Dedede briefly led the Subspace Army in the takeover of the Halberd by distracting Meta Knight so the army could steal his ship. At that time, he learns of Tabuu's powers. He is worried that no one would be there to save him, and as a result, he leaves the army. Dedede prepares a brooch that could revive someone from their trophy form back into their original state.
- Ancient Minister is the field commander, being subject to Ganondorf, Bowser, and Master Hand. He had a reluctant leadership role commanding the R.O.B. squad, whose main task is to deploy Subspace Bombs around the world, sacrificing themselves in the process. When could not tolerate this anymore, he attempted to stop it, thus Ganondorf ordered the R.O.B.s to attack him, his robe was burned, revealing his true identity as the leader R.O.B.
The following were Smasher accomplices that were associated with the army, but had to be tricked in order for them to join, as they did not voluntarily join by themselves. The only exception is Mr. Game & Watch, who willingly allowed Tabuu to extract his Shadow Bugs.
- Master Hand was bound by the Chains of Light and used as a puppet to control the army. He recruited most members of the army and led them in the takeover of the world.
- Mr. Game & Watch (SSBB) was captured prior to the opening by Tabuu. Tabuu took advantage of him and extracted an endless amount of Shadow Bugs from inside him, but Mr. Game & Watch did not attack, because he cannot differentiate good from bad. He did not know that Tabuu used him this way, so when he was revived, Peach scolded him for creating villains such as Shadow Bugs and Duon.
The Subspace Army consists of a number of enemies, the Primids chief among them. These enemies are created from Shadow Bugs, which are dropped from the Halberd. The Subspace Army also controls the floating Isle of Ancients and the Subspace Gunship.
The army's weapons, equipment, and troops are almost all stolen or copied. Mr. Game & Watch was used to create Shadow Bugs, which were then used to create a massive army as well as False Characters. Samus's Power Suit was apparently stolen, and Pikachu was used as a power supply. The Dark Cannon is the most powerful handheld weapon used by the Army, and these were distributed among its Smasher leaders.
Primids are the Subspace Army's standard troops. Their modest strength is made up for by large numbers. Specialization is also present, as there are:
- Normal Primids
- Scope Primids (Primids with firearms)
- Sword Primids (Beam Sword-wielding Primids)
- Boom Primids (armed with boomerangs)
- Metal Primids (covered in heavy, reflective metal)
- Fire Primids (can breathe fire)
- Big Primids (bigger than usual)
Other enemies found throughout the game include:
These robots are mass-produced copies of the original R.O.B., and thus under his command, until Ganondorf overwrote their programming to attack him. The R.O.B.s were tasked of detonating Subspace Bombs, protecting the Ancient Minister, and guarding the Isle of the Ancients. They come in three forms:
Bowser commands a group of creatures from his own universe, composed of:
In addition to sending troops at their foes, the Subspace Army is more than willing to set up some devious devices in their bid to conquer the world: