Stamina is a Special Melee option in SSBM, and a Special Brawl option (under the name of Stamina) in SSBB. In both games, it gives all characters a "life bar" of sorts, which must be depleted to defeat characters (rather than KOing them). Once a character reaches 0HP or are KO'd, they are out of the game. When the character reaches 0HP, the character flashes red.
In Melee, choosing Stamina Mode fixes the stamina at 150HP for two, three, or four players; in Brawl, players can select their HP individually via the Handicap option, ranging from 1 to 300.
Super Projectile MatchEdit
How to performEdit
This gameplay mode is available for 2-4 players. Choose a Stamina mode battle under Special Melee in VS Mode, and then choose characters that use projectiles. Prohibit all direct attacks, and fight using only projectiles, then fight on a stage that has little leveled ground and many places to hide (e.g. Hyrule: Temple and Onett)
This gameplay mode is found on page 49 of the Super Smash Bros. Melee instruction booklet.
- When one brings a character's HP to 0, the game will temporarily slow down and the opponent will emit their Star KO scream (Melee and Brawl only).
- Drone characters (such as the secondary Ice Climber and Pikmin) will blindly stand beside their defeated leader. However, the secondary Ice Climber has their own unseen stamina meter, and can be KOed as well, either before the main Ice Climber or after (doesn't count as a KO). Also, Pikmin can still be killed.
- Certain transformation-based Final Smashes cause an Undead Glitch when their HP is reduced to 0.
- In Melee, because there is no results screen, the Master Hand glitch does not freeze the game when a match ends.
- When Crazy Hand and Master Hand's stamina reaches 0 in VS. Mode, their dying scream is not heard.
- In Melee, the player has no way to edit the initial stamina; the instruction booklet, however, shows a screen shot of Stamina Mode with Hit Points higher than 150.
- Healing items will not bring the character's HP to beyond the original amount that they had at the beginning.
- Hitting a person with a freeze attack when they are at 0 HP will permanently freeze them. In Melee, if hit repeatedly they will thaw out while in Brawl, if on a moving surface they may thaw out and the slightest hit will thaw them out.