- This article is about Sheik's appearance in Super Smash Bros. Melee. For other uses, see Sheik. Also, for information about Sheik's alter-ego, see Princess Zelda.
|Universe||The Legend of Zelda|
|Appears in||Super Smash Bros. Melee|
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. (Wii U and 3DS)
|Debut||The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)|
Announced at E3 2001, Sheik is a character in Super Smash Bros. Melee. She transforms from Zelda by using her Down Special Move (Transform), and can transform back into Sheik with the same method. By holding A at the stage loading screen, Zelda will automatically transform into Sheik at the start of a match.
Because of her fast movement speed, fast attack speed, and one of the best projectiles in the game, Sheik is ranked 4th in the tier list.
Sheik is a very fast character in both movement and attack speed, but her attacks lack power and are vulnerable to being crouch cancelled. However, as her opponent's damage percent climbs higher, the knockback of her attacks increase many fold.
Sheik's needles are arguably one of the best projectiles in the game. Not only are they quick to charge, but she can save her needles and continue charging them whenever she is given time to do so. Her needles can neutralize opponents' projectiles, especially Samus's Charge Shot and Mewtwo's Shadow Ball, and thanks to its hitstun, they can be added to her edgeguarding game. Needle canceling makes for a speedy and unpredictable air-to-ground game. For the advanced player, reverse needle canceling improves mobility and recovery, as they can turn themselves the other way to follow up into finishing blows.
Her Side Special Move, Chain, has decent range, but has almost zero Hitstun, and is slow to execute and end, therefore making Chain virtually useless in advanced play. Despite this, Sheik's chain can be used to edgeguard Falco and Fox extremely effectively.
Sheik has one of the fastest wavedashes in the game. She has excellent dodging ability thanks to her unusually low crouch, which can help dodge projectiles like Fox's and Falco's Blasters. Sheik has a very high short hop, so her SHFFL is slowed significantly. Sheik's tilts are known not only for being fast like her other attacks, but for also having long reach and juggling capabilities. Sheik is also famous for her Down Throw, which can chaingrab against much of the cast. Not only is Sheik's Up Smash quick, but it is also the second strongest in the game (next to Ganondorf's) if sweetspotted at the tip of her hands. Sheik can also Wall jump.
Although her recovery doesn't travel much distance, being a combination of relatively fast-falling speed, fairly poor air speed, and not much distance on her Up Special Move, Vanish, it has a large number of invincibility frames, and damages foes around her due to the explosion. Sheik can transform into Zelda if the player has a disadvantage as Sheik, or for her better recovery when knocked far offstage. However, Transform is fairly slow and grants few invincibility frames, allowing her to be easily punished. Pressing the Pause button, while illegal in most tournaments, allows for Sheik's transformation to be instantly finished.
- Neutral Attack - Two swipes that do 3-4% damage, followed by a fast series of punches doing 1% each.
- Side Tilt - A round kick in front of her. Short range, but launches the foe directly up leaving them open for aerial combos. 6% damage.
- Down Tilt - A quick kick while crouching. Not particularly useful due to low range. 7% damage.
- Up Tilt- Kicks up, and lets her leg down in an axe-like way. This attack is famous for its chainability on heavy characters such as Bowser. First hit does 8%, second 3%, for a total of 11% damage.
- Dash Attack - Spreads her arms apart and stops running. 10% damage
- Forward Smash - Kicks twice in front of her, has moderate knockback. 4% then 12% uncharged, 6% then 19% fully charged.
- Up Smash - Sheik puts her arms above herself and violently separates them to her left and right. 13% uncharged, fully does 17% in the NTSC version, 16% in the PAL version. Incredibly powerful when sweetspotted, being among the most powerful in the game, but otherwise does moderate knockback.
- Down Smash - A powerful breakdance-like sweep. 13% uncharged, 17% fully charged.
- Ledge Attack - Kicks back on the stage, 8% damage.
- 100% Ledge Attack - Slowly does a similar attack to her ledge attack below 100% damage, does 8% damage.
- Floor Attack - Gets up and kicks in front and back of herself. 6% damage.
- Neutral Aerial - A Sex Kick. 14% when it comes out.
- Forward Aerial - A quick swipe in front of Sheik. Great knockback and great for edgeguarding. Usually does 13% damage.
- Back Aerial - A quick kick in back of Sheik, good for edgeguarding. 8% damage.
- Up Aerial - A spinning kick upwards. Great for KO-ing. 12% damage in the NTSC version, 10% damage in the PAL version.
- Down Aerial - A downwards kick. Does 9-11% damage.
Grabs & Throws
- Pummel - Punches the opponent with her fist. 2% damage each punch.
- Forward Throw - Launches her foe forward with low horizontal knockback and hitstun. 8% damage.
- Back Throw - Kicks an enemy behind Sheik. Better knockback and hitstun than Forward Throw but otherwise weak. 7% damage.
- Up Throw - Launches the enemy above her. Excellent for an Aerial Attack follow-up, but due to low hitstun follow-ups are difficult. 8% damage.
- Down Throw - Punches enemy to the ground.. Overall, this is the best of Sheik's grabs, because it can reliably chaingrab or tech chase many characters to high percentages. 8% damage.
|Sheik's Special Moves|
|Standard Special Move:||Needle Storm|
|Side Special Move:||Chain (SSBM, SSBB), Burst Grenade (SSBWU/3DS)|
|Up Special Move:||Vanish|
|Down Special Move:||Transform (SSBM, SSBB), Bouncing Fish (SSBWU/3DS)|
|Final Smash1:||Light Arrow|
|1: In Super Smash Bros. Brawl only.|
- Down Throw has a more horizontal trajectory, making it impossible to chain grab or directly follow up if the opponent DIs away from Sheik.
- Up Aerial is weakened significantly to 12% damage from 10%. This makes it a powerful juggling tool at even high percents (especially against fast fallers), but makes it a terrible KO move.
- The damage and knockback of the Up Smash tipper hit is slightly weaker, doing 16% damage instead of 17%.
In addition to the normal trophy about Sheik as a character, there are two trophies about her as a fighter, unlocked by completing the Adventure and All-Star modes respectively with Sheik on any difficulty:
- This is Zelda's alter ego. Using a variation of the name of the ancient Sheikah tribe, she appears before Link and teaches him melodies instrumental to his success. It's believed that she's not just a quick-change artist, but rather that she is able to instantaneously alter her clothing and her eye and skin color by using her magical skills.
- Sheik (Smash Red)
- Strategically switching between Zelda and Sheik is key. Compared to her Zelda form, Sheik is nimble and has gorgeous moves, but she lacks a strong knockout attack. The number of needles thrown in Needle Storm is based on how long you hold the B Button before releasing it. Use the Control Stick to wave the Chain after brandishing it.
- Sheik (Smash Blue)
- The best strategy to use when playing as Sheik is to let her flow from one powerful attack into another, like a river of quicksilver. Zelda has some techniques with more punch, however, so in one-on-one battles, use Transform as needed. Sheik only travels a short way when using Vanish, but the move comes with a small explosion that damages foes around her.
- Up & B: Vanish
- Down & B: Transform
- Sheik's appearance in Melee marked the first time the character was playable in any game.
- Sheik's gender is greatly disputed among fans, mainly because the official artwork displays Sheik with a male's build instead of a female's build. In addition, a comparison between the official artwork of Sheik and Zelda (from Ocarina of Time) display very different body types and builds.
- Sheik's Neutral Aerial and Up Aerial are identical to that of Samus, despite not being a clone or semi-clone of her.
- Sheik is the only playable character not to appear on the character selection screen.