FANDOM


This article is about R.O.B.'s appearance in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U. For other uses, see R.O.B.
R.O.B.

R.O.B. SSB4

Silver ROB


ROBSymbol
Universe R.O.B.
Also appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Availability Unlockable
Final Smash Super Diffusion Beam
Tier C (33)
Character Statistics
Number of Jumps 2
Can Wall Jump No
Can Wall Cling No
Can Crawl No
Has a Tether No

R.O.B., known in Japan as the Famicom Robot (ロボット Robotto?), is a veteran in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U. His full name is Robotic Operating Buddy, and he's based on the R.O.B. NES peripheral. He was unveiled in a live stream made from people who received Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS early.

It currently ranks 33rd on the tier list. He has strong attacks, good zoning and trapping tools and a great grab combo, known as the 'Beep-Boop' - down throw to up air. However, he is a big target, meaning he can be comboed easily and lacks a good combo breaker, giving him a hard time escaping them. His kill moves are also slow.

How to Unlock

Nintendo 3DS

Complete the following:

After completing either option, you must fight and defeat R.O.B. on PictoChat 2.

Wii U

Complete the following:

  • Play 60 matches.
  • Beat Crazy Orders with an 8-round strike.

After completing either option, you must fight and defeat R.O.B. on Wrecking Crew.

Attributes

Strengths

Weaknesses

Summary

R.O.B. is a vey good zoner character and can utilize his Gyro for one of the best combo games in the cast, and can use his Robo Beam to put pressure on opponents attempting to get close. However, he suffers from slow short range moves making punishing difficult if the opponent is a speedy character. He can survive many K.O. moves at higher percentages due to him being the tenth heaviest. He performs well in aerial combat, with his Fair coming out very quickly and his Nair covering all sides. Overall, he is a very good character for zoning and aerial game, but performs below average in his ground game with the exception of his Gyro combo game.

Differences from Super Smash Bros. Brawl

R.O.B. received many buffs to increase his knockback, speed, and range. However, some of his attacks were also nerfed as well.

Attributes

To be added.

Ground Attacks

  • Side Tilt deals more damage but has less reach.
  • Up Tilt has increased vertical range.
  • Side Smash Attack has increased range and deals more knockback.
  • Up Smash Attack's knockback is much more powerful, and now has hitboxes that can hit grounded opponents.
  • Down Smash Attack deals more damage and knockback. however, it has a slightly higher startup lag. It also launches enemies downwards when hitting them in the air from above.
  • Dash Attack deals more damage.

Air Attacks

  • Forward Air Attack is faster and now has vertical reach, with R.O.B. doing an overhead swing. However, it causes less damage.
  • Back Air Attack deals more damage and knockback. It also pushes R.O.B. forward more than before.
  • Up Air Attack's final hit now deals enough knockback to KO opponents. However, it deals much less damage.
  • Down Air Attack has less startup and ending lag, but deals slightly less damage with both sweetspot and sourspot.

Grabs and Throws

  • Up Throw deals more damage and knockback to the point it can KO.
  • Down Throw deals more damage.

Special Attacks

  • Robo Beam is larger when fully charged, but travels a shorter distance.
  • Arm Rotor deals higher knockback in the last hits, and all other hits connect better, trapping opponents more easily. Additionally, R.O.B. travels faster and farther. It also has a finishing uppercut at the end of the attack, similar to any character with an infinite combo, such as Captain Falcon.
  • Gyro has a larger disjointed hitbox, meaning it has higher priority. However, they also deal less damage when shot and when thrown after being picked up.
  • New Final Smash, Super Diffusion Beam, replaces his old one, Diffusion Beam. Rather than giving R.O.B. a buff, he transforms his body into a cannon and shoots a gigantic laser, in a similar fashion to Samus' Zero Laser, that can be aimed. The attack starts as a large laser that splits into four smaller ones, with different angles.

Moveset

Ground Attacks

  • Standard Attacks: Pummels repeatedly, alternating arms. 3%.
  • Side Tilt: Pummels with his left arm, but reaches farther and does more damage. Can be tilted. Gains power with range. 6% Closest, 8% Farthest.
  • Up Tilt: Hits both arms into the air and torso moves up a bit. 3% then 5%, Total 8%
  • Down Tilt: Throws his arms out at a downwards angle. Down Tilt can trip the opponent it hits. 5%.
  • Dash Attack: Brings his arms down on the opponent. 7%.

Smash Attacks

  • Side Smash Attack: Locks into a position and shoots a laser from his eyes. Can be tilted. Also closest hit does most damage.

Uncharged: 6% - 15%

Fully Charged: 8% - 21%

  • Up Smash Attack: Does a handstand and shoots booster upward from his base. Also more damage is done if opponent is hit while they are on the ground, than when they are in the air.

Uncharged: 3% then 14%, Total 17% if enemy hit in the air 14%.

Fully Charged: 4% then 19%, Total 23%. If enemy hit in the air 19%.

  • Down Smash Attack: Lowers his torso expands arms and spins them hitting multiple times.

Uncharged: 1%, 2%, 2%, 2%, then 5%, Total 12%.

Fully Charged: 2%, 2%, 3%, 3%, then 7%, Total 17%.

Air Attacks

  • Standard Air Attack: Does a front flip in the air as his booster goes off. 8%.
  • Forward Air Attack: Throws his arms outward. 7%.
  • Back Air Attack: Pushes R.O.B. forward as his booster goes off. 12% if sweetspotted, if not 6%.
  • Up Air Attack: Hits both arms upwards, hitting multiple times. 1%, 2%, 1%, 2%, then 4%,Total 10%.
  • Down Air Attack: R.O.B. Shoots downward with his booster as he is in the air. If Sweet Spotted does 11% and has Meteor effect, 12% sends enemy upwards no Meteor effect, and if sourspotted does 6%.

Grabs and Throws

  • Pummel: R.O.B. smacks enemy. 2%.
  • Forward Throw: Throws his opponent forward. 8%.
  • Back Throw: Tosses enemy back. 10%.
  • Down Throw: Drills opponent into the ground, also sends them upward. 10%.
  • Up Throw: Brings opponent into the air and piledrives them, also sends enemy upwards. 12%.

Other Attacks

  • Ledge Attack: R.O.B. swings his booster from below and shoots. 7%.
  • Get-up Attack: Gets up and swoops both sides with arms. 7%.

Special Moves

R.O.B.'s Special Moves
Brawl SSBWU/3DS
Standard Special Robo Beam
Side Special Arm Rotor
Up Special Robo Burner
Down Special Gyro
Final Smash Diffusion Beam Super Diffusion Beam

R.O.B.'s Custom Special Moves
Custom 1 Custom 2
Standard Special Wide-Angle Beam Infinite Robo Beam
Side Special Reflector Arm Backward Arm Rotor
Up Special Robo Rocket High-Speed Burner
Down Special Fire Gyro Slip Gyro

Taunts

  • Up Taunt: Faces forward and spins his head and arms in opposite directions. This is similar to his Mario Kart DS pose.
  • Side Taunt: Faces towards the screen, tilts his head to the side and moves it in a full arc, all the while his eyes glow and spark. He also subtly claps twice.
  • Down Taunt: Faces forward, ratchets his arms down his spine and spins them back up to their original position.

In Competitive Play

To be added

Trophy Description

R.O.B.

ROBTrophy3DS

NTSC: This NES accessory was released in 1986--a groundbreaking system that controlled the robot via a game on the screen. In Smash Bros., R.O.B. has two projectile weapons and can use his rocket base to fly through the air. If you let his Robo Beam charge over time, it'll make for a powerful blast.

PAL: Released in Europe in 1986, R.O.B, a peripheral for the NES, was a little robot that responded to flashing lights in games. In this game, he can fire gyros and lasers at his enemies. He also has the ability to hover, which is handy for recoveries. keep in mind that his Robo Beam can be charged up for an extra-powerful shot.

  • NES - Nintendo Entertainment System Robotic Operating Buddy (10/1985)
  • DS - Mario Kart DS (11/2005)

R.O.B. (Alt.)

ROBEXTrophy3DS

R.O.B.'s side smash, S3, fires a laser beam that does more damage up close. You can also aim it slightly up or down before firing. His down special Gyro sends a spinning top hurtling forward and can be charged for more damage. You can even dodge while charging!

  • Same as above

Super Diffusion Beam (All Star, Wii U only)

NTSC: For R.O.B.'s Final Smash, he folds his arms down, transforms into an invincible cannon, and fires a huge beam that can be panned slowly up and down. The beam splits up partway through into smaller beams that drag foes to the center, where they'll be hit continuously. The assault finishes off with a single wide beam just for good measure.

Rob Final Smash
Super Diffusion Beam

PAL: Same as above, with only two differences (center > centre | panned > aimed)

Trivia

  • R.O.B. is the only character that has different default colors depending on the region the game is from. If it is from Japan, his color will be red, and if he is from America, his color will be grey. Though this is not featured on the international versions of the Official Site, since all of the gameplay pictures are taken from the Japanese version of the Official Site. Albeit this is absent in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, where he has his Japan colors set as default even on international versions.
  • His title of "last of his kind" in the Wii U version of Boxing Ring not only implies that he is the Master Robot, but also references the Subspace Emissary.
  • Unlike in Brawl, R.O.B. now has a helpless state, though he can only enter it when landing on the trampoline summoned by Pac-Man's up special move, Pac-Jump, and only when the trampoline turns red.
  • As of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, version 1.1.3, a bug exists where R.O.B.'s eyes do not emote in any of the standard Smash modes, whether he is damaged, asleep, etc. In the Solo modes and in the Nintendo 3DS version, his eyes function normally.

Costume Gallery

Gallery

External links

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.