A Ping is the sound effect used for very powerful attacks, and is most often associated with the Home-run Bat. In Melee's trophy description for the Home-Run Bat, the sound is described as "KREEEEENG!", while the Smash Bros. DOJO!! variously described it as "PWANG!", "PING!", or "Pwaaaang!". The sound is impossible to miss, and hearing it usually means that someone just got hit by a very powerful attack.
In the first game, most sound effects were vague and generic variations that might be described as bowling pins being knocked down. The Ping, however, is very distinct. It is also used in the opening cutscene. The attacks that Ping are:
- Home-run Bat
- Ness's Forward Smash.
- Luigi's Fire Jump Punch (when sweetspotted).
- Jigglypuff's Rest (when the foe is hit).
Here, the attacks were given more realistic and varied sound effects. There were a few additions to the list of Ping attacks:
- Mr. Game & Watch's Judgement #9.
- The Freezie, and some other ice attacks such as Judgement #8, used a variation of the Ping to indicate a hit.
Brawl changed sound effects for certain items and attacks.
- Ice attacks don't really Ping (The only exception being Mr. Game & Watch's Judge #8). Freezie no longer Pings, instead using the classic sound effect from its appearance in Mario Bros.
- Ness's Forward Smash has been changed to sound more wooden, and "CRACK"s like a real bat.
- Luigi's Taunt now Pings also, most likely to make it more noticeable, since Bonuses no longer exist to indicate when one has connected successfully. It's also a joke in that most Ping attacks are excessively powerful, but the taunt only does 2% damage and moderate fixed knockback; although it might Ping because if an opponent is on the edge and they are hit with it, they will be Meteor Smashed powerfully.
- The Dragoon makes an echoey ping sound when it attacks, whether it hits or not.
- In addition to the previous changes from Melee, one new move, Light Arrow, also produces the sound.
To listen to a Ping, click here.
- Ironically, this sound is also used in the Dragon Ball Series.