- This article is about Meta Knight's appearance in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. For other uses, see Meta Knight.
|Also appears in||SSBWU/3DS|
|Final Smash||Galaxia Darkness|
|Number of Jumps||6|
|Can Wall Jump||No|
|Can Wall Cling||No|
|Has a Tether||No|
|Voiced by (English)||Eric Newsome|
|Voiced by (Japanese)||Atsushi Kisaichi|
First unveiled to be in the game at E3 2006, Meta Knight (メタナイト, Meta Knight) is a character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Originally a rival character from the Kirby universe, Meta Knight joins the brawl as a starter character who wields his short sword Galaxia as he fights.
He currently ranks 1st on the Super Smash Bros. Brawl tier list due to his extremely fast attack speed, unpredictable recovery thanks to four recovery moves and five midair jumps, amazing edgeguarding ability, and amazing tournament results, causing him to even get banned from tournaments at one point.
Meta Knight also has an outstanding matchup spread, with only one matchup with Pikachu being even, and the rest being in Meta Knight's favor. Even his matchup with Pikachu is thought to be in his favour.
This doesn't mean he has no disadvantages at all however, as his KOing ability is very poor, as he has only a few moves that can KO, with only his slow forward smash being able to KO under 125%. He is also lightweight, so he can get KO'd easier than other characters.
- Very fast attacks make him difficult to punish
- Possesses five jumps and four recovery options, making his recovery unpredictable
- Excellent juggling capability
- Incredible edge game, with great edge-guarding capability and many options for getting around other edge-guarders
- Mach Tornado is an excellent combo finisher, and punish tool
- Drill Rush is a useful horizontal recovery and can be angled up and down
- Shuttle Loop has great vertical and horizontal movement, with the gliding being able to be cancelled into an attack to punish approaching opponents; the glide attack and Shuttle Loop are both reliable finishers
- Dimensional Cape is a useful tool for escaping enemy combos, maneuvering around the stage in an unpredictable manner, sneak attacks, flanking opponents, retreat, recovery, and can be platform cancelled into other aerial attacks, as well as being a reliable kill move
- Jagged frame data and disjointed hitboxes gives him high priority
- Very fast jab that hits on both sides
- Forward tilt can attack three times, with the third attack having good horizontal range
- Down smash is an effective tool for punishing rolls and edge options because of its speed
- Excellent match-up spread, having favorable match-ups against all characters except Pikachu
- Fast on the ground, with fast dodging maneuvers
- Slow fall speed
- Can easily outmaneuver zoning opponents and deal very well with projectiles due to his good dodging maneuvers, multiple jumps, and high priority
- Many good approach options, Mach Tornado and Drill Rush being two in particular
- Lightweight, making him easy to K.O.
- Few reliable kill moves that can kill early, with the only one being his forward smash which is among his slowest attacks
- All special moves leave him helpless, making them dangerous to use haphazardly off-stage or near an edge
- Lacks a meteor smash
- Drill Rush leaves Meta Knight open to attack at the end
- Dimensional Cape cannot grab onto the edge if the attack is used upon reappearing
- Poor air release makes him susceptible to meteor smashes and some chain-grabs
- Horizontal air movement leaves something to be desired
- Low damage output and launch power on many attacks
- Dash attack lacks transcendent priority, making it poor for approach
- Multi-hitting attacks can be escaped easily
Meta Knight is a small character, being roughly the same size and shape as Kirby (although Meta Knight has a cape that transforms into a pair of bat-like wings) and with the same weight as Pikachu. With proper Directional Influence and partial Momentum Canceling, he can be hard to KO, despite his light weight. Meta Knight's small size and low weight mean that he is difficult to chaingrab, but a few characters can chaingrab or grab release combo him because of his poor, short air release (the third worst behind Wario and Squirtle when including small characters). Because of his poor air release, it is possible for him to be meteor smashed by Marth's tipper or Falco's Phantasm, which is never used off stage. Meta Knight's dash speed and rolls are quite fast (he has the fastest shield roll in the game), but his lateral aerial movement outside of a glide or any special move is very poor (in the bottom 5).
His wings provide Meta Knight with five mid-air jumps and the ability to glide twice (by pressing and holding the jump button and then using his Up special or with the Wii remote, by repeatedly taping left and right). His moveset is mostly comprised of fast, long-ranged moves with his sword Galaxia, which deal relatively low damage and knockback. He lacks early kill moves heavily depending on WoP for early kills (which can be hard to pull off due to his poor air-speed). The low power is compensated for by the fast speed and minimal lag of most of the attacks, allowing Meta Knight to easily set up combos and rack up damage, not to mention that only his dash attack does not have transcending priority. In particular, his Mach Tornado (neutral special) can quickly put up to 26% damage on the opponent. Another example can be seen in his Up Aerial, which when combined with his multiple jumps can combo into itself to 30% or more damage and/or other moves because of its speed.
Many of Meta Knight's multi-hit attacks (such as Forward and Back Aerials, Forward Tilt, Up Smash, and Mach Tornado) are useful in racking up damage, but can all be escaped with Smash DI. Meta Knight's knockback comes from his forward smash, glide attack, and his up special. These moves are his only viable finishers, and none of them are meteor smashes. Additionally, the up special puts Meta Knight into a helpless state, leaving him vulnerable to being attacked. Meta Knight is one of only two characters, the other being Sonic, whose all special moves can be used for recovery (allowing him an unpredictable recovery and therefore making him nearly impossible to edgeguard) and put him into a helpless state.
Meta Knight does lack a projectile, but Mach Tornado has high enough priority to break most opponents' projectiles, or he can just glide over them. Other abilities of Meta Knight include his ability to use his Dimensional Cape for mind games, and having two excellent approach attacks: Mach Tornado and Drill Rush, giving him a very unpredictable approach game. Meta Knight's Final Smash, Galaxia Darkness, is easy to land, has a powerful knock back and will hit your partner if you're playing team. It goes through shields dealing 40% damage and 14% for players that did not get hit by his cape.
- Neutral Attack - Meta Knight yells and executes a lightning-fast flurry of slashes that also attack enemies behind him. Does 10% damage when just tapping the attack button. Can be rapidly tapped or held to extend the duration.
- Dash Attack - Does a running kick. His only attack (other than all of his throws, excluding the back throw) that does not use his sword. When MK attacks with his foot, it does 6%. When the body hits it does 8%. Possibly based on Kirdy's Slide move.
- Side tilt - Slashes twice in front of him, then once upwards. Only pressing the attack button once will cause Meta Knight to perform only the first hit; press it twice more to slash the second and third times. 1st slash does 4%, next does 3% and the last does 5%, altogether 12%.
- Up tilt - Stabs upward. 10%. Decent knockback, and in some cases at higher percents, makes up for his up smash's weak vertical knockback. A possible nod to his upward stab attack in most of his boss fights.
- Down tilt - Thrusts his sword across the ground. Good for tripping, deceptive range, very fast, and it can be used to Pseudo Crawl. 4-6%
- Side Smash - Pulls his sword back for a second, then slashes in front of him. Has below average knockback, but is his strongest move in terms of knockback. This is Meta Knight's only slow attack, although that's only the start-up which is 24 frames, it has a very fast charge release and has very little ending lag, less cooldown than his Down Smash. 15-21%.
- Up Smash - Slashes above him three times. Like Link's Up Smash, but much faster. 4% each slash, in total 12%. [9% damage uncharged]. Low knockback.
- Down Smash - A front to back sword strike where he slashes in front of him, then behind. One of the non-dragging down smashes where the second hit attack has higher knockback than first hit. Front slash does 12-15%, and back slash does 15-18%.
- Ledge attack - Slashes with blade. 8% damage.
- 100% ledge attack - Gets up slowly, then slashes with blade. 10% damage.
- Floor attack - Slashes on either side of himself. 6%, both slashes.
Grabs & Throws
- Pummel - Jabs opponents with his wings' claws. A slow pummel. 3% damage.
- Forward Throw - Kicks the opponent in front of him. A very fast throw. 8-10% damage.
- Back Throw - Teleports and slashes the opponent behind him. 10% damage and good knockback.
- Up Throw - Similar to Kirby's: jumps into the air holding his foe, and then crashes down. The differences are that this throw doesn't create an explosion, and it has less launch power. Can KO at very high percents. 12% damage.
- Down Throw - Stomps on the opponent multiple times, then ends by slamming down on them. It is much like Kirby's Down Throw, but it is a little slower and has a horizontal trajectory. Does 12% damage.
Both his Side and Down Taunts provoke battle. This is because he would always challenge Kirby to an honorable fight.
- Up Taunt - Wraps himself in his cape, as if teleporting via his Down Special, while grunting. Resembles when Meta Knight is defeated and teleports away in Kirby's Adventure.
- Down Taunt - Spreads his wings while shouting "come".
- Side Taunt - Says "Fight me!", while pointing left hand in front(at opponent), slashing twice, and finally pointing his sword in front of him.
|Meta Knight's Special Moves|
|Standard Special||Mach Tornado|
|Side Special||Drill Rush|
|Up Special||Shuttle Loop|
|Down Special||Dimensional Cape|
|Final Smash||Galaxia Darkness|
In competitive play
Role in the Subspace Emissary
It is revealed that before the events of the Subspace Emissary, Meta Knight was attacked by the Subspace Army, who had the intent of taking the Halberd. He was able to hold them off until King Dedede attacked him, causing him to lose his ship.
When Meta Knight is first featured in the Subspace Emissary, he attacks a lone Marth outside of a large castle. He quickly learns that Marth is not his enemy when they are both almost piled on and surrounded by Primids. After a successful battle, both warriors chase the Ancient Minister, who is carrying a Subspace bomb. Both are unsuccessful in their attempts in destroying the bomb (Meta Knight's left wing was shot by the Ancient Minister's laser, forcing him to land and change to his cape to extinguish the flame); luckily, Ike appears and uses his Aether to catch the Minister off guard and destroy the bomb. With the bomb destroyed, all three head back to the castle to clear out any remaining Primids.
Later, they are all seen traveling the wastelands together and battling Galleom. Meta Knight then saves Lucas and an unconscious Pokémon Trainer from a giant free-fall after they defeat the same boss. Meta Knight then begins to ascend a large cliff face, followed by the Ice Climbers (who see his ascent as a racing challenge), in order to reach the Battleship Halberd. At the summit, Lucario challenges Meta Knight to a sparring duel. To the relief of the Ice Climbers, the winner revives the loser, having no hostile feelings. The Halberd then crashes into the side of the mountain in an attempt to destroy the defeated Great Fox, which is being held by the arm of the Combo Cannon. Meta Knight and Lucario quickly board the Halberd, while the Ice climbers fall off the summit, into the canyon.
The pair run into Solid Snake while on board and join forces with him to take back the Halberd. After rescuing Peach and Zelda, the trio continues on to the control deck. There they discover that the ship is being piloted by a gang of Shadow Bug Mr. Game & Watches. Snake runs towards them and throws them all out of the window and onto the bridge, who fuse together to form a gigantic metallic monster called Duon. Once Duon is defeated, Mr. Game & Watch joins the group, along with Peach, Zelda, Fox, and Falco. (Meta Knight remains in the Halberd's control center and does not take part in the battle.)
Meta Knight takes back control of the Halberd and reunites with the members from other groups. The aircraft of the other heroes is placed inside the Halberd, which heads towards the Subspace Gunship with all of the Super Smash Bros heroes on board (except for Wolf, Toon Link, Jigglypuff, Sonic, Ness, King Dedede and Luigi). After using the Subspace Battleship's main cannon to create another Subspace portal, Ganondorf spots the Halberd on the horizon and orders the battleship to open fire. The Halberd is struck down, but the heroes are able to escape on board Samus's Gunship, Captain Falcon's Falcon Flyer, Olimar's Hocotate ship, and Falco's Arwing. Kirby destroys the Subspace Battleship by slicing through it is with the Dragoon racing machine and the heroes enter Subspace to pursue Ganondorf and Bowser.
Meta Knight is turned into a trophy by Tabuu along with the rest of the Super Smash Bros heroes upon their entrance into Subspace. He is later revived by Kirby. He rejoins the others in the fight against Tabuu.
The following stickers can be used only by Meta Knight or by a select few including him:
- Bonkers: [Weapon] Attack +16
- Cell Phone: [Slash] Resistance +4
- Dyna Blade: Launch Resistance +46
- Gordo: [Throwing] Attack +5
- Hot Head: [Flame] Attack +10
- King Dedede & Kirby: [Specials: Direct] Attack +21
- King Dedede (Kirby Super Star): [Leg] Attack +28
- Kirby (Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards): [Body, Spin] Attack +22
- Kirby (Kirby Air Ride): [Arm, Leg] Attack +17
- Maxim Tomato: Maxim Tomato Effect +50
- Meta Knight: [Slash] Attack +32
- Meta Knight Ball: Launch Power +8
- Nruff: [Body, Spin] Attack +5
- Starman (Kirby: Squeak Squad): Launch Power +33
- Whispy Woods: [Weapon] Attack +4
- Meta Knight is the first top ranked character to not use a projectile.
- Meta Knight is one of the few characters to lack a meteor smash.
- Meta Knight is the only character that is able to glide twice in midair.
- Meta Knight, Snake, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, and Luigi are the only characters to have ever been placed in their own tier on the tier list.
- Meta Knight is the only character whose entire set of special moves leaves him in his helpless animation.
- Meta Knight is one of only three characters in Brawl able to perform three aerials in one short hop, the others being Lucario and Luigi.
- Out of all the characters in the Kirby universe, Meta Knight is the only one to speak in complete sentences.
- He is also the only one to have a different voice actor in the Japanese version of the game.
- Meta Knight's eyes never close, but they do change in size when he's damaged.
- Meta Knight is the only character in Super Smash Bros. history to have been alone in a tier more than once.
- Despite Meta Knight being part of the Kirby universe, he has a unique victory theme that plays after he wins a match, unlike every other fighter in any game in the series before Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U.
- Meta Knight can preform an infinite Dimensional cape move, leaving him completely invisible for a long period of time until he attacks. This move can only be preformed with a Game Cube controller and is an almost guaranteed win when in a Sudden Death match.
- People who entered tournaments with Meta Knight had incredible performances and were practically invincible. Therefore, Meta Knight has been banned from tournaments to avoid cheap victory.
- According to his moveset files, Meta Knight has a voice clip whenever he starts up his Down Smash, but it's never used do to the start-up animation being instantaneous. He does use the voice clip in the next game.
- Meta Knight's page at Smash Bros. DOJO!!.
- Special Move Set
- Meta Knight Character Guide at SWF
- Video of Meta Knight's hit boxes