- For fighter info, see Meta Knight (SSBB).
Meta Knight from Super Smash Bros Brawl
|Debut||Kirby's Adventure (1993)|
|Console of origin||Nintendo Entertainment System|
|Species||Kirby's species (possible)|
|Eye color||Yellow With Mask, White Without Mask|
|Created by||Masahiro Sakurai|
|English voice actor||Eric Newsome|
|Japanese voice actor||Atsushi Kisaichi|
Meta Knight is a major character in the Kirby video game series developed by HAL Laboratory. Kirby's Adventure was his first appearance, although Meta Knight was not given a name until Kirby's Avalanche, released in 1995. He is a mysterious character and is seen as both a hero and a villain in the series.
Meta Knight's mask breaks almost every time Kirby defeats him, revealing a Kirby-like face underneath. The only difference is that Meta Knight's facial features are pure white and his face is blue. His mask gives the wearer's eyes a yellow-ish tint; it makes Meta Knight's white eyes yellow and Kirby's blue eyes green, as revealed by various Kirby games.
Meta Knight also wears a cape that can turn into wings, which he uses it to fly around. On certain occasions, he will take off his cape in battle.
Meta Knight's only appearance in this game is as a collectible trophy, unlocked as one of the 250+ trophies that can be collected randomly during normal play, such as in the Trophy Lottery and throughout the various Single-player Regular Matches (though it will only be available to start appearing after the player has played over 200 Vs mode matches). The trophy has two factual errors: The first is that the trophy is called "Meta-Knight", but his name is not supposed to have a hyphen in it, and the second is that his first appearance was in Kirby's Adventure in May 1993, not Kirby Super Star in September 1996. The trophy reads as follows:
The mysterious head of the Meta-Knights, he wields his sword with dignity. He delivered his sword to Kirby and demanded single combat in show of his knightly honor; his strict adherence to his code of ethics makes him a rarity in Dream Land. Sometimes he throws off his cape in battle. It occasionally transforms into wings.
- Kirby Super Star 9/96
Meta Knight is a new character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and he is available to play from the start. Almost all of his attacks involve his sword, Galaxia, and most of these attacks are extremely fast, such as his Up Aerial, which comes out in just two frames (2/60 of a second), referencing his swordsmanship in the Kirby franchise. He has medium range due to the fact the his sword is not very long. All his specials put him into Helpless state, but they can also be used in recovery. Like Kirby, King Dedede, Jigglypuff, Charizard and Pit, he has multiple jumps, but, despite physically resembling Kirby, he doesn't puff himself up to jump - instead he uses his wings to propel himself upwards, making him more similar to Pit in that respect. Also like Pit and Charizard, Meta Knight has the ability to glide using his wings.
Meta Knight is widely considered to be the best character in the game if one has mastered his controls due to his lack of disadvantageous match-ups (although some match-ups are considered to be approximately even) along with his overwhelming dominance in tournaments. Due to being considered broken, Meta Knight has been banned since January 9, 2012, on the Unity Ruleset.
- The head of the Meta-Knights, and something of a rival to Kirby. He's quite an accomplished swordsman. Following his code of knightly ethics, he once delivered his sword to Kirby and demanded single combat. His giant cape transforms into wings, giving him the power of flight. He's shown his face briefly before, but his relationship to Kirby is still a mystery.
- He is the only character to have a victory theme different from the other characters in his series.
- In some official artwork, his sword has 6 spikes on its sides, and Meta Knight's shoulder pads are solid colored. In Brawl, his sword only has 4 spikes, and he has an M on his left shoulder. In the Kirby games Meta Knight appears in, however, his sword has no spikes, simply resembling a golden version of Kirby's sword, and his shoulder-pads are solid.
- Meta Knight is the only character in the Super Smash Bros. series to be banned in standard tournaments.