If charged, the fruit will change, with different characteristics and movement patterns when thrown. The bonus cycle will be in the same order as the original Pac-Man (Cherry, Strawberry, Orange, Apple, Grape, Galaxian Flagship, Bell, and Key). Pac-Man can stop charging at any time and whichever fruit he is holding will be saved to throw later. Once Pac-Man gets to the key, the charging will stop and the key is saved for him to throw later. The charge-up period doubles once the player cycles beyond the orange. If used in mid-air, Pac-Man will brieftly maintain horizontal and vertical speed.
- Cherry: The weakest fruit, does 4% damage and causes flinching but little knockback. However, it can be picked up after throwing it. Bounces on the ground a short distance.
- Strawberry: Does 6% damage. Bounces on the ground a long distance but causes very little knockback.
- Orange: Does 8% damage. Causes standard knockback, stronger than the cherry's but weaker than the grape's. Flies incredibly far in a straight path, and can reach up to 3/4 the distance of Final Destination.
- Apple: Does 9% damage. Causes more knockback than both the orange and the grape, but can only travel a short distance in an upward arc.
- Grape: Does 12% damage. Causes standard knockback, greater than the orange. Travels significantly slower and stays in the air longer.
- Galaxian Flagship: Does 11% damage per hit. Circles around after a short distance so it can hit twice. Low knockback. Pac-Man can catch it in mid-flight to use again, and this time the flagship can be thrown upwards or downwards.
- Bell: Does 8% damage. Travels a very short distance in a high arc, but will cause prolonged hitstun and high knockback. The length of hitstun depends on the opponent's current damage percentage.
- Key: Does 15% damage. Travels a considerable distance and causes a good amount of knockback. The key always deals enough knockback to send the hydrant flying in one hit.
|Pac-Man's Special Moves|
|Standard Special||Bonus Fruit|
|Side Special||Power Pellet|
|Down Special||Fire Hydrant|
|Final Smash||Super Pac-Man|
Bonus Fruit can be customized to become Freaky Fruit and Lazy Fruit.
Freaky Fruit is one of Bonus Fruit's customizations. All the fruits now have different properties.
- Custom Cherry: The cherry bounces left and right. Again does 2% damage. Opponents hit by it will be knocked toward Pac-Man.
- Custom Strawberry: The strawberry also bounces left and right, but covers more distance than the cherry. Does 4% damage. Opponents it hits will also be knocked toward Pac-Man.
- Custom Orange: The orange goes faster, but only deals 2% damage.
- Custom Apple: The apple bounces forward rapidly close to the ground. Has a slow start but does 9% damage. If used in the air it will go straight downwards and resume bouncing.
- Custom Grape: The grape's jump is higher, once it touches the ground, it will bounce to the opposite direction. Does 13% damage. It will not hit the opponent if used at point blank range.
- Custom Galaxian Flagship: It goes straight forward, then loops around and goes straight backward. Does 9% damage.
- Custom Bell: The Bell travels low to the ground briefly before going upwards. Does 6% damage.
- Custom Key: The Key will meteor smash any opponent it hits. It needs to be used when Pac-Man is close to the opponent. Does 10% damage.
- Unpredictable movement pattern
- The Apple can force opponents into the air and has long range
- Pac-Man can re-grab some fruits
- Orange has long range
- Galaxian has long range
- Bell is a good air barrier
- Strange movement patterns make them unlikely to hit unless used correctly
- Key has very short range
- Melon is slow and doesn't last long on stage
- Everything below the Apple is weak damage-wise
- Bell has short horizontal range
Freaky Fruit is a weird move, but if a player knows what each fruit does and how to use them the move can be quite effective. The unpredictable ways each fruit moves in can catch opponents off-guard in the right situation. Take a look at each individual fruit to see how they work. The Cherry has a short range but bounces back and forth in front of Pac-Man; this can be used to keep opponents at bay or Pac-Man can grab it and throw it again when closer to the opponent. The Strawberry bounces slowly back and forth over a long range; this can force opponents to go into the air; Pac-Man can also grab this after thrown. The Orange has a very long range but only deals 2% damage; even so, it can be a good tool to put some damage on the opponent from a long range. The Apple bounces forwards very quickly, the bounces extending in length the farther the Apple gets from Pac-Man; the way it moves along the ground can force opponents into the air. The Melon bounces very high, bounces once, and then vanishes; it is very slow and can be used as a barrier. The Galaxian has very long range and actually goes back the way it came except flying over Pac-Man, which can discourage enemy aerial assaults. The Bell goes a very short distance forwards and then steeply flies upwards; this can keep opponents from trying to approach from the air, much like Mega Man's Danger Wrap. Finally, the Key has a very short range and doesn't do much damage but it meteor smashes.
Lazy Fruit is Bonus Fruit's other customization. The fruits take longer to cycle and throw and move slower, but will remain on the ground after being thrown. The Galaxian Flagship keeps going in a circle to hit enemies repeatedly.
- Lasts a long time on stage
- Pac-Man can re-grab all fruit
- More damage
- Typically short range, save for the Apple and Melon
The Lazy Fruit is a move that is useful for keeping enemies away from Pac-Man. Each fruit lasts a while on the stage, creating an obstacle on the stage for opponents. All of the fruit can be grabbed by Pac-Man and thrown again, so Pac-Man is able to control the stage by placing these obstacles virtually anywhere on the stage. Though slow, the fruits all deal more damage than the default move. The fact that Pac-Man can pick them up and throw them out elsewhere also makes up for the lack of range many of the fruit have, with only the Apple and Melon having good range to them.
|Pac-Man's Custom Special Moves|
|Custom 1||Custom 2|
|Standard Special||Freaky Fruit||Lazy Fruit|
|Side Special||Distant Power Pellet||Enticing Power Pellet|
|Up Special||Power Pac-Jump||Meteor Trampoline|
|Down Special||On-Fire Hydrant||Dire Hydrant|
All kinds of fruits appear in the original PAC-MAN--along with some other items in later rounds--and they're a great way to rack up a high score. Here, PAC-MAN'S standard special lets him throw one of these. Different ones have different movement patterns and launching abilities. Press the button again to pick!
- Arcade - PAC-MAN (1980)
- Arcade - PAC-LAND (1984)
In the original game of Pac-Man, fruits occasionally appear at the center of the stage. Eating them earns bonus points. For the following stages, another fruit will appear, therefore earning bigger points (Although, the Galaxian Flagship, the Bell and the Key aren't technically fruits).