- For the CPU Mode, see ITEM (CPU Mode).
An item is an object that appears on stage that characters can use or throw. Items are a large part of the gameplay of the Super Smash Bros. series. They may appear at any time in designated spawning areas during a match.
List of items
The items that appear during regular gameplay and are listed under Item Switch may be broken down into several different types of items based on how they are used and their effects.
Container items can be broken if thrown or hit and releases other items when broken. Opponents hit by thrown container items become damaged.
Note: Sandbag is not considered one of the other Containers in Brawl's Item Switch and thus has a separate switch. In addition, it has no chance of explosion, and cannot be carried, but still releases items.
Battering items change each character's Neutral attack, Forward tilt, Dash attack, and Forward smash into a damaging item swipe. They can be thrown, tilt-thrown, or smash-thrown with Z and the C-stick as well and may also have certain special effects.
Shooting items are items that can fire projectiles a certain distance.
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, characters are able to move while shooting. Also, the C-Stick can be used to fire while moving in the direction it is tilted, or throw the shooting item if it is out of ammo.
Projectile items thrown at enemies, and are often explosives. They may stick to characters or surfaces, or even hang midair, but are always used by simply pressing A.
These items take effect the instant a character picks them up and increase or change his or her natural abilities. They wear off after several seconds, depending on the item. Some affect the user, and others work on opponents.
Recovery items will reduce the damage of the character who picks them up. In Super Smash Bros., a character may not pick up a healing item while holding another item; this was changed in Super Smash Bros. Melee.
Assist Trophies (called "assist figures" in Japan) are very much like Poke Balls (called "monster balls" in Japan) in that they summon random characters. However, instead of throwing them, they are automatically activated upon pickup. They only activate when standing; a character will continue to hold an assist trophy and he/she can even be knocked away if an opponent hits him before it takes effect.
Collectibles are items that can only be picked up in the course of game play. They do not cause any direct or immediate change to a match. Stickers can be used during The Subspace Emissary to enhance a character's abilities. CDs add to the list of songs playable during matches. Trophies (called "figures" in Japan) give some background information about various elements in the game.
Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary
These items are only available in the Adventure Mode of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Trophy stands (called "smash plates" in Japan) are thrown at an enemy to transform it into a trophy ("figure" in Japan) after greatly weakening it.
Other items can be produced only by certain characters, stages, or other items. These include:
|Walking or flashing Bob-ombs|
|Coins and Bills|
|Power Suit Pieces6|
|Wario Bikes and Wheels6|
|Attack||Reflector||Nayru's Love||Cape/Super Sheet||Confusion||Bat swing||Stick||Mirror Shield||Angel Ring||Arm Rotor|
- Mario/Dr. Mario can explode a Bob-omb with the Cape/Super Sheet, but it doesn't reflect or hurt them.
- When Mewtwo reflects with Confusion, it still counts as the thrower's item and doesn't hurt them. For example, if a character throws a Poké Ball at Mewtwo and Mewtwo reflects it, the Poké Ball will not hit the thrower when reflected. When it lands, the thrower gets the Pokémon and not Mewtwo. This applies to all items that Mewtwo can reflect (but explosives can still hurt the thrower if they land at the thrower's feet).
- All of the question marks have not been tested yet.
- When Fox reflects a Poké Ball in Super Smash Bros., the original thrower of the Poké Ball gets it.
- Eggs always break when it gets reflected by anything, or explode if it was boobytrapped for that matter.