Strong Side, also known as a "Side Tilt" or a "Forward Tilt" (commonly abbreviated to "F-tilt"), is a Strong Attack performed by any character by holding the control stick forward and pressing A while on the ground. This is distinct from an Forward Smash, some forward tilts can be "angled" up or down to some extent, pointing the hitbox in a diagonal direction instead of totally forward. Most attacks that are angled up are slightly more powerful than if they weren't angled, while some are weaker if angled downwards. Knockback is also affected by angling, with up angles providing more vertical knockback and down angles providing more horizontal knockback. Strong Sides cannot be charged like Smash Attacks.
Forward tilts in Super Smash Bros.
The majority of forward tilts are used just for spacing, a majority of them are weak for combos outside of facing a wall. Pikachu, Ness, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Mario, Luigi, Jigglypuff, Falcon, Samus, and Fox are examples of this. Of the more basic forward tilts, Captain Falcon is usually considered to have the best forward tilt while Donkey Kong and Ness are considered to have the worst. Samus' is also slightly unique as it is slightly quicker and is more often used than the other "bad" forward tilts due to Samus having few good ground moves. The other forward tilts are as follows:
- Yoshi: Surprising knockback for a tilt move. Used to combo into forward aerials for gimps (whether they be short hop, djc, jump, or full jump. Also can combo into another forward tilt, other aerials, down special move, or up special move. Usually considered the overall best forward tilt in Super Smash Bros..
- Link: Higher knockback than most forward tilts with good range but heavier ending lag. Mediocre range but overall a good edgeguarding move.
Forward tilts in Super Smash Bros. Melee
Characters in Super Smash Bros. Brawl with Forward tilts that can be angled
- Mario (often angled down by CPUs)
- Samus (easiest angled tilt to distinguish)
- Zero Suit Samus
- Sonic (difficult to distinguish angling, attack barely altered in general)
- Captain Falcon
- Wario (If angled upwards, Wario will grunt during the start-up lag instead of during the actual attack.)
- Donkey Kong (difficult to distinguish)
- Diddy Kong
Characters in Super Smash Bros. Brawl with Forward tilts that can't be angled
- Peach - Kicks straight up, while she bends back completely.
- Sheik - Does a crescent kick, great for juggles.
- Ganondorf - Kicks straight forward. Very much like Captain Falcon's, aside from not being able to be angled and stronger with more horizontal knockback. Commonly called the "Sparta Kick" of the film "300", where Leonidas, King of Sparta, kicks the Persian into the hole - however, Ganondorf used the kick in Twilight Princess, which came out before the movie.
- Snake - Darts his knee with fixed knockback in front of him and after a powerful hammerblow. Great speed, great priority and great range in (both hits have disjointed range), doing a total of 21% and high knockback, making it arguably the best forward tilt in the game. Great damage racker. First he knees with set knockback against grounded opponents (but has knockback on aerial opponents). If another Strong Side is done right after the first one, he'll do a double fist that's stronger than the first one, like Toon Link's Forward Smash. The properties of the first kick can be exploited. Doing that is called Knee Locking. Overall, one of the quickest moves of his arsenal, and is a very powerful kill move at a high percentage.
- Olimar - Thrusts his body forward in the air with a kick.
- Pit - Thrusts both of his swords forward.
- Meta Knight - Swings his sword forward, then can do two more swings into a combo, like a three-hit neutral combo.
- King Dedede - Spins his hammer in front of him. Notable that it is the longest ranged physical attack in the game.
- Link - Swings his sword vertically downwards.
- Toon Link - Same as Link's, but different in that it stalls the opponent, like if hit by a sweet spot.
- Marth - Does a slashing uppercut. Sometimes mistaken for being able to be angled, due to his up tilt being very similar to his forward tilt.
- Mr. Game & Watch - Pulls out a chair from Lion in front of him.
- Ivysaur - Thrusts its body forward a bit and then spins the leaves of its flower. Can hit multiple times.
Forward tilts in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
- Mario: Does a side kick.
- Luigi: Does a side kick.
- Peach: Does an upwards kick.
- Bowser: Punches forwards.
- Rosalina and Luma: Swivels her body around to hit with her lower body.
- Bowser Jr.: Swipes forth with a fork.
- Donkey Kong: Swings one arm back-handed.
- Diddy Kong: Leans forwards and hits with both fists.
- Yoshi: Turns around and hits with his tail.
- Wario: Winds up and punches forwards.
- Dr. Mario: Does a side kick.
- Link: Powerfully slashes downwards.
- Zelda: Swings a hand forward, magic trailing along.
- Sheik: Does an upwards kick.
- Ganondorf: Kicks forwards, flat-footed. Known as the Sparta Kick among fans.
- Toon Link: Swings his sword forth.
- Samus: Does a side kick.
- Zero Suit Samus: Does a side kick.
- Pit: Stabs forwards with both blades.
- Palutena: Levitates her staff and spins it like a wheel.
- Dark Pit: Stabs forwards with both blades.
- R.O.B.: Punches forwards with one arm.
- Kirby: Does a side kick.
- Meta Knight: Swings his sword forwards.
- King Dedede: Extends his hammer forwards, spinning it in one hand.
- Captain Olimar: Punches forth.
- Fox: Does a side kick.
- Falco: Does a side kick.
- Captain Falcon: Does a side kick.
- Pikachu: Kicks forwards with both feet.
- Charizard: Swings his tail forwards.
- Greninja: Does a side kick.
- Lucario: Jabs forwards with one hand.
- Jigglypuff: Does a side kick.
- Mewtwo: Swings his tail.
- Marth: Swings his sword forwards.
- Ike: Swings his sword forwards in a 250 degree range.
- Lucina: Swings her sword forwards.
- Robin: Swings his/her sword forwards.
- Roy: Swings his sword forwards.
- Ness: Does a side kick.
- Lucas: Swings one hand forth, PSI trailing behind it.
- Mr. Game & Watch: Slams forth with a chair.
- Little Mac: Punches twice.
- Duck Hunt: The dog leaps forwards slightly, as the duck jabs with its beak.
- Villager: Swings a parasol forwards.
- Wii Fit Trainer: Performs the Dancer pose, with her foot going back and her arm going forwards; hits on both sides.
- Shulk: Swings forth his sword.
- Sonic: Does a horse kick.
- Mega Man: Fires three blasts forwards.
- Pac-Man: Does a side kick.
- Ryu: Light: Does a side kick. Heavy: A powerful downwards punch known as the Collarbone Breaker; it can break shields.
- Cloud: Slashes forwards with his sword.