The Dragoon from Brawl.
|Appearance||Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
|Requirements||Collect All Parts|
The Dragoon (ドラグーンパーツ Doragūn Pātsu?) is an incredibly powerful item that can cause an instant KO. In order to use the Dragoon, one must find all of the three pieces of it (Dragoon Part A, Dragoon Part B, and Dragoon Part C). Collecting one of the parts causes an icon of that part to appear to the left of the collector's image at the bottom of the screen. Once the player has collected all three pieces, the Dragoon is assembled and the character flies off-screen, from where they can aim where they want to attack with the Control Stick. The item will automatically fire after a certain amount of time; however it can be fired at will before this point by pressing the A button. If a character is hit, the result is 42% damage and almost always a one hit KO. Dodging the attack can be difficult unless the defenders can predict when the attacker will charge, but it is possible.
Characters can attack each other to force the other player to drop the piece they have; a character can also lose all pieces they have by being KO'd. Once all three parts are in play, Smash Balls will not appear until they have been used or fallen off the stage (Similarly, if the Smash Ball appears, the third Dragoon part will not. This is so the Dragoon's targeting sight does not clash with any Final Smashes).
The Dragoon parts only appear once per match, and may not appear during a match at all. It also never appears in the Subspace Emissary during play, but Kirby uses it in a cutscene to bring down the Subspace Gunship.
The item comes from Kirby Air Ride, in which the Dragoon had to be constructed in a similar manner. It is one of two legendary vehicles, the other being the Hydra. The Dragoon is known for its flight abilities, while the Hydra is extremely fast and has a great offense. The Dragoon and Hydra also have very high health compared to other machines in the game.
Stages of Firing
- An attack-capable Air Ride machine you can assemble by combining parts A, B, and C. You can knock off parts held by foes in combat, so stealing parts is something that's sure to occur. In Kirby Air Ride, you control legendary machines, but the Dragoon not only towers above all others in terms of speed, it is also able to fly.
- Kirby Air Ride (2003)
Collect parts A, B, and C to assemble the legendary Air Ride machine known as the Dragoon. Take careful aim, and then ride it toward your target, A hit will send enemies flying out of the battle. Taking damage before you've collected all the parts can knock them from your grasp, however.
- NGC - Kirby Air Ride (10/2003)
Role in the Subspace Emissary
Shortly after the destruction of the Halberd, Kirby uses the Dragoon to destroy the Subspace Gunship by flying at full speed through the massive weapon while the other Fighters have it distracted. Kirby then uses the Dragoon to enter Subspace along with the rest of the characters.
- In the Bridge of Eldin, when firing the item when the bridge is forming, the player that is riding the Dragoon will get Star KOed.
- When the Dragoon passes through the stage just as Tingle's Zoom-In effect is beginning (look for flowers), causing the camera to thereafter freeze on the ship's trajectory. This scenario is difficult to induce, due to the vastly random nature of assist trophies (1 of 27) and Tingle himself (1 in 5).
- If Ike uses Aether and gets hit, he will come down with no knockback whatsoever.
- If a character is Star KO'd while possessing a Dragoon Part, the part will fall back onto the stage after a few seconds.
- Contrary to its trophy description, the Dragoon was not the fastest machine in Kirby Air Ride. Hydra, the other legendary machine, was capable of speeds much greater than any other machine could reach without power-ups. The Formula Star, while having abysmal acceleration, was also capable of moving slightly faster than Dragoon on land.
- In training mode, when any amount of Dragoon Parts are on the field and the Smash Ball is spawned, all the parts on the field not being held by a character will disappear. This occurs viceversa as well.
- It is actually possible not to be KO'ed by the Dragoon on larger stages. It's just that, normally, it has enough knockback to do so.
- Dragoon is also the name of a beast in a different franchise, Beyblade
- This item is particularly notable due to an infamous leak. In October of 2007, a user on GameFAQs claiming to know information about the game posted, among other things, a very precise description of this item and its function. When it was revealed on the Dojo two months later, people began to believe the rest of the information he had posted, which included some character and stage confirmations. Everything that he posted turned out to be true in the final product, so it is commonly accepted that, unlike other false leakers, this person did indeed have inside information during the game's development.