Darkness is an effect that only a few attacks in the Super Smash Bros. series can cause and even fewer characters can utilize it. It takes the appearance of purple fire and generally only evil characters can use it. Darkness was introduced in Super Smash Bros. Melee, where only two playable characters and two bosses could use it.(See ahead.) In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, 3 playable characters could activate Darkness along with one boss.(See ahead.) Here is a list of characters that can use Darkness in the Super Smash Bros. series and the attacks that cause them.
- Crazy Hand - Spider Crawl, Flying Punch Catch (Master Hand Combo Move),Triple Poke (First Hit),Bombs (SSBM only)
- Giga Bowser - See below
- Meta Ridley - Claw swipe (Wii U version of SSB4 only)
- Ganondorf - Forward Smash,Warlock Punch,Flame Choke (Brawl only), Gerudo Dragon (SSBM only), Dark Dive (Ending Uppercut, SSBB only),Wizards Foot, Beast Ganon (Dash)
- Mewtwo - Shadow Ball (After tossed), Forward Throw (Shadow Balls), Forward Air, Forward Smash, Down Smash, Up Smash, Dash Attack, Neutral Attack.
- Giga Bowser - Forward tilt, Up tilt, Down Tilt, Forward Air, Forward Throw, Back Throw, Edge Attack, 100% Edge Attack
- Olimar - Pummel, Pikmin Throw, Pikmin Chain (White Pikmin)
- Kirby - Can Copy Warlock Punch, Shadow Ball, or Pikmin Throw.
- While Olimar's White Pikmin injects poison, it is technically using darkness.
- More of Crazy Hands attacks involve Darkness, signalling he may be more inclined to evil than Master Hand.