The character matchup chart is a color-coded table detailing the approximate difficulty of all possible matches for any given character against any other character in Super Smash Bros. Melee based on two players of equal skill. Created by phanna and updated for 2015, the chart is based loosely on community consensus regarding character match-ups and there are future plans to use the data collected for deeper analysis of the subject and potential expansion of the chart/project.
The chart offers several interesting analyzes about the dynamics of the game and is also open to a variety of interpretations; players may use the chart to further their chances of tournament success by using it as a guideline for what matches to avoid, or as a constructive tool indicating how much they will have to improve a given character in order to overcome a difficult counterpick.
However, since this chart was made, metagame has evolved, so many character matchups have changed. Back when the chart was made, Kirby had a losing matchup over Roy and Bowser, and now has a positive matchup over both of them. Before the tenth tier list was made, Mewtwo had no advantageous match ups, but now it has plenty.
As of the current chart:
- Fox has the best matchup spread.
- Pichu has the worst matchup spread, despite not being bottom tier.
- Everybody except Young Link has at least one even matchup.
- Everybody except Pichu and Bowser have at least one counter.
- Everybody except Fox and Falco are countered by atleast one character.
- Link is the only character who is hardcountered and has a hardcounter.