The C-stick is the "yellow stick" on the right side of the Gamecube controller. In Melee's versus mode, it can be used to perform any Smash Attack while standing, or any aerial while floating. Smash attacks performed with the C-stick are performed one frame slower than the fastest possible, which has little to no effect on its usefulness. If one presses "Z" (Or any grab button) soon after you tilt the stick, you can charge the smash attack. It is also possible to charge a smash attack by pressing A when tilting the C-stick, in the same manner you would if you were using the control stick. The C-Stick can also be used to perform aerial attacks, in which case the attack will be performed in the direction the C-Stick is tilted. This allows you to do a back aerial attack without losing your forward momentum. The C-Stick can also substitute for the control stick in some instances, as it can be used to roll or sidestep from your shield, direct the direction of a tech, and influence directional influence. In Melee's 1 player modes, the C-Stick can be used to zoom up on the player or zoom down on the player. In order to do this, one must tilt the C-Stick up to zoom up and tilt the C-Stick down to zoom down.
In Brawl, the C-Stick (And right stick on the classic controller) can be assigned other control behaviors:
- Smash: (Default) Smash attack short cuts, just like in Melee.
- Grab: Tilt the stick to grab. You can tilt it again to pummel. The direction you tilt the stick does not effect grabbing or pummeling.
- Shield: Tilt the stick to put up a shield. Release the stick to drop the shield. Not affected by the direction the stick is tilted. Can also be used to air-dodge.
- Jump: Tilt the stick to jump. Not affected by the direction the stick is tilted.
- Special: Tilt the stick to do the special that corresponds to that direction. Tilting the stick in one horizontal direction while holding the control stick in the other causes odd behavior.
- Dash Attack: While dashing, tilt the C-Stick downward to initiate a dash attack. It allows to use a dash attack immediately after dashing instead of using forward smash when pressing the A button.
- Attack: Shortcuts to Tilt A attacks, although tilting the stick in the direction opposite the one you are facing will cause your character to do a Neutral A attack instead.