|Balloon Fight (universe)|
|Console of origin||Arcade|
|First installment||Vs. Balloon Fight (1984)|
|Latest installment||Tingle's Balloon Fight DS (2007)|
The Balloon Fight universe (バルーンファイト, Balloon Fight) refers to the Smash Bros. series' collection of properties that hail from the Balloon Fight series of platformers developed and published by Nintendo. Originally released as a 1984 arcade game, later titles included an NES port and numerous sequels and rereleases. The series has constantly been referenced in numerous other Nintendo franchises, including Game & Watch, Wario, and even The Legend of Zelda with a game starring Tingle.
Balloon Fight is a 1/2 player game on the NES, in which you take out your enemies by popping their balloons by ramming into them, and when your enemy has landed on the ground, you have to ram into them to eliminate them and finish the stage. There also occasional special stages in which you pop balloons coming out of pipes for points. There is also a 3rd game mode named Balloon Fight, in which you try to pop as many balloons as possible until you lose both of yours.
Balloon Fight also appeared as one out of the 12 attractions in Nintendo Land, in which your Mii takes the helm of the Balloon Fighter. The gameplay is based off the 3rd game mode in the original Balloon Fight.
Balloon Fight still receives some attention in Melee. The anonymous protagonist of the game, the Balloon Fighter, is a collectible trophy in Melee, and the Flipper - an obstacle from Balloon Fight - is a usable item and as well as a trophy. The original background music for Balloon Fight can also be heard in the Icicle Mountain stage as alternate music.
According to Smabura-ken, the Balloon Fighter was considered to be a playable character to represent a character from the NES era; the character was ultimately edged out by the Ice Climbers.
- Flipper: An item similar in function to the Bumper that flips around when touched, causing damage and knocking back the target.
- Balloon Fighter
A Balloon Fight reference can be found in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. On the stage Summit, a fish originating from the game appears when the summit of Icicle Mountain slides into the water. The fish is capable of eating any player unfortunate enough to be in the water at the time, dragging them off the screen and taking a life.
Brawl also features a cover of the Balloon Trip music, also appearing on Summit, in My Music.
- Balloon Fight: A level from the original Balloon Fight recreated as a new stage for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. The stage includes the fish and Flippers as hazards, and like the classic game, players can walk off the stage and appear on the other side.
- Balloon Fight Medley: A series of tunes taken from Balloon Fight that plays on the Balloon Fight stage in the 3DS version and the Wrecking Crew stage in the Wii U version.
- Balloon Trip: A new remix of the Balloon Trip music that plays as an alternate track on the Balloon Fight stage in the 3DS version and on the Duck Hunt stage in the Wii U version.
- The Villager uses the headgear from Balloon Fight in his up special move, Balloon Trip. The balloons can be popped individually, and popping both causes the Villager to fall helplessly in a similar fashion to the Balloon Fighter when his own balloons are popped.